Have you been accused of domestic violence? If you have been charged with this crime, you will need the services of a good criminal lawyer. A good St. Louis domestic violence attorney will advise you of your rights, what you can do, and what the potential consequences might be. It is better to be informed about your rights, rather than being charged, and have to defend yourself against a serious charge. Getting the services of a qualified attorney is the best way to get the help you need when you are accused of domestic abuse. Below are some of the services that a St. Louis domestic violence lawyer may provide you with.
– Charging someone with assault if it is not punishable by law. When it is legally acceptable to do so, contact a St. Louis domestic violence attorney immediately. You will need proper legal counsel to effectively prepare and fight your case against the alleged attacker. Remain calm and let the legal representative of your choice to oversee the case and prepare a strong defense for you.
– Finding a criminal defense law firm in your area that has experience dealing with domestic abuse cases. If you live in St. Louis or have friends or family who live there who have been accused of abuse, you should consider using an attorney who deals with these cases regularly. This will ensure that your case is handled properly and that you get the results you deserve.
– Understanding the severity of the charges against you. Even if you were caught in a lie, it is still a crime, even if it did not result in any physical injury. If the allegations against you are true, you may face a number of serious legal consequences. In some cases, the charges can include harsh penalties such as jail time, community service, fines, and even loss of a job. For this reason, you should seek representation from a St. Louis domestic violence attorney who specializes in these types of cases.
– Knowing your legal rights. You are likely being accused of a crime, even if the charge is merely “maliciously” motivated. Regardless of whether the alleged perpetrator actually caused physical harm, he or she may still be held responsible for the resulting consequences. Your St. Louis criminal defense lawyer will work with you to ensure that you have the best chances of getting the fairest treatment possible for your charges.
– Having a positive attitude. Many people who are facing domestic violence charges simply believe that it will go away or will not affect their employment, family life, or credit rating. You should not let this attitude cloud your judgment. If you are guilty of the offense, you should be aware of your rights, and the best possible outcomes for your legal action.